Tuesday, June 19, 2012

THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN


I walked down a long, tiled corridor.
There were notices on the walls.
WHITE TIES PLEASE. NO NIGGERS. PLAY THE GAME.
DO NOT SPIT.
THIS WAS TO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.
I went down the long tiled corridor
And at the end someone clattered lift gates.
GOING UP!
I preferred to walk and went up the stairs.
I rapped on the office door and asked for God.
The manager was bald and apologetic.
The manager told me God was out.
I walked back down the stairs, down the corridor.
There are offices it seems across the way.
He may be in there.
PLEASE USE THE SUBWAY.
I used the subway. I am still walking.
I have met many of my friends. Some of them are dead.
The place is well-organised. The commissionaires
Are civil, and put their harps aside
When one speaks to them.
Once there were animals here; insects even;
But they grew tired. They went out to play.
The curiosity of men seems endless.
Even I am too curious to blow my brains out.
I will go on walking although I know it is useless .-
I heard the manager muttering in his sleep.
."If they find God the place will have to close.
That is why I tell them God is only Out.
Don't tell the boys God'll never be In.."

                                      - Christopher Caudwell

No comments:

Post a Comment