Monday, August 12, 2024

Why Should Brecht's Name be Mentioned?

 


"Because I praised the useful, which 

In my day was considered base 


Because I battled against all religions 


Because I fought oppression or 

For another reason.


Because I was for people and 

Entrusted everything to them, thereby honouring them





Because I wrote verses and enriched the language 


Because I taught practical behaviour or 

For some other reason.


Therefore I thought my name would still be Mentioned; on a stone 


My name would stand; from books It would get printed into the new books.


But today I accept that it will be forgotten.


Why Should the baker be asked for if there is enough bread?


Why Should the snow be praised that has melted If new snowfalls are impending?


Why Should there be a past if 

There is a future?


Why Should my name be mentioned?"

(Brecht) 

No comments:

Post a Comment